Monday, December 25, 2006

From the Right

We're lucky, we do live in a relatively atheist-accepting community. Although, I do have some fun little religious run-ins that I'd like to share.

Religious Person: Read Revalations, it'll explain it all to you.
Me: Or not.
Religious Person: What, you don't read the bible?
Me: No.
Religious Person: Are you an -- athiest???
Me: Yeah.
Religious Person: I don't like you.

lol, does this seem right to anybody else? Anybody? The amount of religious tolerance exuding from this particular individual was akin to the amount of milk you could milk from a rock. Nadda.

I too have been invited to multiple religious gatherings, but unlike Truman I attended many of them. You see, I was raised very religious. I was baptised and attended a private christian school up through 4th grade. I never really attended church regularly, but I did some youth group things as a kid. I was reluctant to give up religions because I thought people would look down on me or that I'd upset people that were really religious, but religion began to make less and less sense to me, so I ditched it for good. This explains why I actually attended soem of these religious functions, because I was still clinging to religion. I can tell you, Truman, you were right when you said you'd probably feel awkward. It was awkward. It's really awkward when your family still wants to go to church every once in a while and forces you into attendance. Just sitting there, not believing anything you're hearing.

This leads me to a quote that I found the other day that, I believe, is a perfect summation of why I am an atheist. I don't mean to constantly use outside sources in my posts instead of voicing my own opinion, it's just that these sources fit. Fit really really well.

Here is how I view atheism:

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."


It makes sense, how couldn't it? Ponder it. . .

1 comment:

Greg said...

Nice blog guys. Pretty slick and funny.